Thursday, March 09, 2006

On My Way (Yesterday)

Wednesday. US Air Flight 4337. Seat 8 F. Hardly enough room for a last View, but room enough for me to see the end of a very ugly chapter in my so-called life. Goodbye Scranton. And goodbye Pennsylvania. We were decidedly not meant for each other.

The plane’s a twin-propped relic, straight outta Casablanca, ala Earl. As is the Scranton/Wilkes Barre International airport, without the mood or the funny. It’s also about the size of a suburban carport, only smaller.

One can only imagine where their international destinations lie.

In the air and face against the window. I haven’t seen sky from this height in forever. As you might suspect, the view down is an utter disappoint, unless you’re impressed by wasteland. Scarred nothingness, as if a devilish god came around, torched the ground, then sprinkled powdered sugar on everything before sitting down to sate. Of course once he got a taste of the place he probably spit it out. He sure as hell left a lot of nothing on the plate.

Au revoir, Scranton. We shall not meet again.

Philly International. At least it’s an airport. Unfortunately it’s also a victim of 21st c ninnyisms. In other words, no smoking, anywhere, not even in the bar. I’m not allowed a drink; at least let me have a cigarette.

There’s WiFi, but you gotta have an account or a credit card to log on, which kinda spoils the whole freeing of communication. Puts a damper on the bloggery too. The airing of it anyway. I guess getting back to Go Street is a good excuse to postpone a post.

And, Zeus-willing and Hood-be-doing, it’s the last excuse I’ll ever have to postpone anything. Wait as a mandate is no way to live, especially for one as impatient as I. From here on in there won’t be time for me even to listen for a knock -- I’m kicking the door in.

And with that I gotta thank each and every kind cool one of you for tuning in and enduring my pitted fits and dimwitted starts these past seven months. Knowing you were out there really made my dogged days. I'd also like to invite you all to therealjohnhood.com/bloggery, where I’ll be slingin’ a Hood’s-eye-view of a whole brave new wild world. Oh my View’s still gonna be skewed, it just won’t be skewed Scranton. Instead I’ll be skewing from a place where the visionary is unimpaired.

Let’s hope I keep seeing things.

(Bloggery begins tomorrow, 3/10.)

3 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger OtherMichael said...

fare thee well john we hardly knew ye

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twas good knowing you while you existed in Scranton. Looking forward to bloggery from sunny Fla.

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO SKEWING FROM SUNNY SOUTH FL. WHAT GIVES? LOOKING FOWARD TO MORE POSTS FROM MIAMI. MARCH 9th, ITS BEEN TO LONG SINCE I READ THE LO-DOWN.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home